Saturday, February 12, 2011

Dear Colorful Indian Lamps,

You know what, Colorful Indian Lamps? I think you're great.

When I first saw you in 2006 in Varanasi and took two of you back to Korea with me, I thought you were great. I mean, how cool?  Exotic Indian lamps in my apartment in the ROK.   I was so excited for you to be on the porch that I took the door off in order to allow you join us in the living room.


(Those doors were heavier than they looked.)

People always asked about you when they'd come to visit and I'd brag about finding you in India.  They loved you; I loved you.  But, I should have taken better care of you.  You would often fall to the floor and I would get lazy about putting you back up.  After one such fall, combined with a party mishap, you took a bad hit.

(Pictured: Colored Indian Lamp Staining Agent)

At that time, I figured that was it.  You'd be stained for life and I'd never have a chance to replace you.  Little did I know that I'd end up living in your homeland.

Since moving here, I've seen you hundreds of times Colorful Indian Lamps.  I've admired you, thought about that day in Varanasi when I bought you and all those times spent on the porch in Korea.  But, I haven't replaced you.  You're still sun-faded and wine-stained in a drawer.

Today, I went to the Surajkund Mela and you were in your full glory!  You were everywhere and I couldn't take enough photos of you.


But I still didn't replace you.  I'm not sure why I haven't taken you out of your drawer, or added any more Colorful Indian Lamps to my life.

Do you know what?  Maybe I should.

Vibrantly,
jason

1 comment:

  1. Aha, now I can finally post comments (after remembering the right password - there are just too many out there). I saw colorful lamps at Dilli Haat, though I admire your loyalty to an inanimate object. On the other hand, if you are yourself a vibrant object, maybe you have BECOME the lamp. I think it's time for you to take The Art of Living, Level 1.

    ReplyDelete