Saturday, December 4, 2010

Dear Corner Store in D Block,

You represent so much of what I love about India. I love that you've always got me asking questions, wondering and taking a look at you when I drive by, regardless of how many times I've done it.

It all started when we first moved in to this neighborhood and we went to explore the little market around the corner from the house. Three restaurants, a gym, two banks, two bakeries, a little general store and you. That day, I didn't know what to make of you. The sign outside said you were a real estate shop, but a close inspection revealed just a desk and a phone. I have to confess Corner Store, you seemed a little suspicious to me even then.

Flash forward to a month or so into school and my neighbors and I were talking about you (I suspect that doesn't surprise you). They revealed your secret Corner Store. They told me that you not only served as a "Real Estate Office," but you also rented (!)(?) DVDs. Now, I can understand the sale of bootleg DVDs, but rentals? Only in D Block Market, India.

Well, that might seem like grounds enough for a sideways glance when I pass you (Who's in there? Are they buying a house or renting Pineapple Express? Why would anyone rent a DVD? Why would anyone rent a DVD from a Real Estate Office? How would they even know how to do it?).

But...you had to take it that extra step. I though you had legitimized yourself when one day the Real Estate sign had been replaced with the "Laser Video Centre" sign. I thought you had made the big switch. But a closer inspection revealed the same desk with the same phone. Oh the appeal of the empty office!

And then...two days later, Real Estate. And then...Video Store...

And now...I have to look every time I drive by. What will you be today Corner Store? Tomorrow?

Your mystery is enough for me. I don't want to cross that threshold and have my imagination spoiled.

Always wondering,
jason

No comments:

Post a Comment